This is me spewing excitement about my trip to London & Chile from 31/01-9/03/2008. I've never had a blog before, so please bear with me as I figure it out... I hope you enjoy.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Sunny London - days 2-4

I'm not joking! Aside from 5 mins of cloud yesterday, the days have been clear and sunny.

I don't apologise for the length of these posts. I am also using them as my travel journal for reminders to me - so you may find what follows too onerous.

Day 2: Saturday 02/02/2008. So much to say! Hayley and I took the overland/tube into Waterloo (I couldn't find the newsagent where Matt Damon's source hid in The Bourne Ultimatum), then to Central London.
  • Hannah's London Tip #1: Insert your ticket face up into the ticket machine...

    Leicester Square to buy Wednesday night tickets for Sound of Music. After lining up for ~40 mins, we ended up purchasing SoM for that night plus tix for Tower of London, Spamalot and Madame Tussauds.
  • Hannah's London Tip #2: Sometimes the tickets you want are cheaper and more available off-line.

    Lunch in Covent Garden at The Rock Garden was a little overpriced (£11.95 for a grilled chicken burger) but it was a heated venue and it hit the spot. Shopping was fabulously overwhelming, most notably Whittards of Chelsea (instant mulled wine flavoured tea! Who would have thought?) and Godiva for chocolate. Also viewed: the Royal Opera House - everything I wanted to see was either sold out or too far into the future.
  • Hannah's London Tip #3: It's a good idea to layer but forget the tights under long pants. It's not really that cold - especially after walking around all day.

    Seeing the neon lights & Angel of Christian Charity of Piccadilly Square and discovering Regent Street inspired me to collect pics of all the Monopoly locations. And find wombles in Wimbledon. And Paddington Bear in Paddington.

    Despite my fear of heights, Hayley and I took our 'flight' on the London Eye at 5pm. My guidebook told me it was 'not at all vertiginous', but I still couldn't stand up at the railing once we got near 1/2-way. The views were amazing and unique. I highly recommend it.
  • Hannah's London Tip #4: Sometimes it can pay to buy tickets online. We avoided an hour-long queue and saved 10% (our cost: £13.50ea).
  • Hannah's London Tip #5: Don't count on taking a warming mocha with you. No hot drinks allowed on the flight.
  • Hannah's London Tip #6: Take the London Eye at sunset on a clear day and you see London in the light and in lights.

    We stopped at the Ice Bar and Carnaby Street on our way to dinner at Bella Italia (great food and serice at reasonable prices) and the Sound of Music at the Palladium Theatre. I give it a mixed review: I could live with the difference in storyline with the film, set design and lighting was magical, the extra songs were tedious, Maria overacted, the children were darn good, and Mother Superior was the stand-out role. 4 stars.

    Day 3: 03/02/2008. A rest day. Video Hits dosed me up with all the old 80s hits from Kylie, Jason and Mel & Kim. I subjected myself to 5 mins of Eastenders and 10 mins of Coronation Street - which were both dreadful [my condolences to any fans...]. I also discovered that UKTV has very long ad breaks with very, very bad ads.

    The day wasn't all about English television. I ventured to Southside Shopping Centre and discovered some pretty ordinary clothes shops, a fabulous bakery [though my search for Krispy Kreme continues], and Aunty Anne's Pretzel shop. Then I relaxed at home, planned my week, slept very well.

    Day 4: 04/02/2008.I finally figured out the ticket/train situation, which enabled me to start exploring St Paul's Cathedral (£10 entry) before all the crowds arrived. Simply breathtaking. I took the 90-minute Supertour, which set me back £3 and 2 hours. This let me see areas other visitors can't normally access and I took pictures, with permission (they're not allowed elsewhere inside the Cathedral), in the Geometric Staircase leading up the Clock Tower. I also found out why a cathedral is called a cathedral. People have to start writing comments on my blog before I share this tidbit, though I am sure the info is readily available [many thanks for my one comment, Donald!].

    With some very bad direction and lack of confidence in my own bearings, which turned out to be right after all, I reached the Tower of London too late to enjoy it - now a Day 5 event.
  • Hannah's London Tip #7: Listen to Hayley and Shane - buy a central London map...

    Roast chicken dinner. Yum yum.

    I'm just about to embark on Day 5: Tower of London, shopping on Oxford Street, dinner in Soho, Spamalot at the Palace Theatre. Pics are on their way! I am having a great time and missing Perth as well.
  • 4 comments:

    D said...

    Dear Hannah,

    I have subscribed to the RSS feed from your site, so am pleased to hear of your explorations...and thanks for the shout-out!

    I am thrilled that you are having a great time in London. Also, I am impressed that you didn't call the statue in Piccadilly Square "Eros"! Bonus points to you.

    From my recent(ish) travels to London, I can recommend a really cute Japanese pancake restaurant near Leicester Square called "Abeno Too" (see: http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/restaurants/restaurant-3769.php)

    It was great.

    Enjoy whatever you do and wherever you go.

    D x

    Anonymous said...

    Hey Hannah,
    Nice to read about your adventures in the UK! And thanks very much for the tips on London, they will come in handy soon.

    Also, Spamalot is fantastic!! I hope you enjoyed the show too.
    J.

    Anonymous said...

    Southside Shopping Centre? I live across the road! We actually jokingly call it "Mirrabooka Shopping Centre" - cause it's cr@p and occasionally a little scary...

    Enjoy Paris, and hopefully we'll see you on Monday (I need to confirm still...)

    Tim london said...

    Well I don’t know if you have noticed but this website doesn’t exit anymore:
    http:// www.london-palladium.co.uk

    Here’s a Link that works: http://www.londonpalladium.org/

    Cheers